Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What up Wednesday - Back issues and an easy Vegetarian Chili

I have been thinking that a blog purely of recipes may not be the most interesting or most helpful. I still plan on doing a TON of recipes but I thought I would also talk about health in general and the stuff going on in our family.

Lately we have been dealing with a major health issue - my back. I have had a herniated disc for about 6 years and during that time I would have periods where the problem would flare up and really cause me a lot of pain. Sometimes it would be so bad I could do nothing more than lay on the couch and make trips to the bathroom. Of course it is really hard to be the mom when you have this sort of thing going on.

E and A are super surprised and excited that Dad has inexplicably filled
their stockings with high fructose corn syrup and refined sugars!


The latest episode started the week before Christmas (It was a great Christmas!!) and I am still recovering. My doctor thinks my disc is only part of the problem. I also am having issues with my hips and pelvis being all out of place from being pregnant. It has been a long, frustrating recovery.

A finishes up her huge lolli

For years I have not been very good at doing my back strengthening exercises. I would exercise but I wouldn't take the time to do the stretches and exercises I had learned at physical therapy. And I think I am paying for that neglect. It just makes me think why don't we do the things that we know will help us be healthier and happier? I mean I know the reasons: time, motivation, etc... But when will my health take the priority that it needs to be in my life?

This is what sugar overload looks like.

With this last episode I have made myself the promise that I will do my exercises every day. I have made that promise before, hopefully this time I will keep it.

"So, this is Christmas?? - G luckily escapes all the sugar

Well, here is the chili we had for dinner last night. This is a super easy recipe. You just open up a bunch of cans, oh and cut up an onion and add spices but that is it!




Vegetarian Chili

3 cans beans with liquid ( I usually use a combination of kidney, pinto, and black)
2 cups water
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 diced yellow onion
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
3 bay leaves
3/4 tsp sea salt

optional: 1 diced green pepper
4 stalks diced celery
1 cup barley

In a large pot bring stir all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, put on lid and let cook for about 1 hour. If you are putting in barley add it the last 10 minutes.

** This is an old stand by at our house. My kids eat it with shredded cheese and crushed up tortilla chips. I eat it without cheese and it is still good!



No comments:

Post a Comment