Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baked Falafel

Here is a much healthier version of the traditonal Falafel sandwich. Hummus and raw veggies (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion...) go great on a whole wheat pita with this falafel. I got this recipe off the internet somewhere and for the life of me I can't remember where. So if this looks familiar to you, please let me know and I will give you credit. I always double this recipe.


1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans.  Put in a medium bowl and smash with a fork.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Form into small balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and flatten slightly.  Place onto an oiled baking pan.




Bake for 15 - 30 minutes on each side, until nicely browned (since it's baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy)I like mine as crunchy as possible.  






No comments:

Post a Comment