Monday, February 14, 2011

Moroccan Chickpea and Potato Soup

 
 
I got this recipe from Nourishingmeals.com but I like it a little better as a stew, not so much liquid and the we serve it over whole wheat couscous. 
 
Moroccan Chickpea and Potato Soup
 
2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
pinch or two of sea salt
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 to 5 large carrots, chopped (3 to4 cups)
4 to 5 yukon gold potatoes, diced large (4 to 5 cups)
8 cups water or bean cooking liquid (reduce this to 4 cups water if you want more of a stew.)
3 to 4 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup tomato paste (one 7-ounce jar)
2 to 3 teaspoons Herbamare or sea salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
1 cup chopped parsley

Heat a 6 to 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add olive oil then onions and a few pinches of salt and saute for 5 to 10 minutes or until very soft. Add garlic, spices, carrots, and potatoes and saute for a few minutes more.

Then add water (or bean cooking liquid or a combo of both), cooked chickpeas, tomato paste, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.

Once veggies are very tender, remove from heat and add lemon juice and parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy the flavors! Source: http://www.nourishingmeals.com/
 
** The kids don't love this one so much but my husband and I love it. Like I said we serve this over whole wheat cous cous which can be hard to find. My health store doesn't even carry it. Your's might. I get mine at Trader Joe's.
 
** I use red potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the broccoi soup was the best soup ever until I made this. W-O-W! Each sitting I ate until I thought I was going to pop! I made a huge pot with 7 cups of liquid (my pot wouldn't fit another cup with all the other ingredients) on Monday morning. It's now gone! I can't believe I ate that huge pot of soup all by myself, except it's that amazing! I used tomato sauce because I ran out of paste. I used low sodium chickpeas. I also sautéed the veggies with the spices for an hour (long story). The lemon juice and parsley in this recipe make all the flavors explode. I think God should have made me Moroccan.

    ReplyDelete