Friday, February 18, 2011

I heart This Cake - Chocolate Beet Cake

I made this chocolate beet cake for Valentine's Day. After My husband took his first bite. He dropped his fork, turned to me and exclaimed "This is SO GOOD!" Well I thought it was great but I don't know if it was all that. But he could not stop gushing over it. In fact he only let himself eat one slice because he felt guilty eating more.


For this recipe I used coconut sugar for the first time. I bought this Sweet Tree brand at my local health food store. It has a very mild taste and itis great because it is organic, not highly processed so it still has a ton of nutrients in it and it is low on the glycemic index.



I got this recipe from greensmoothie girl but I changed it a bit. Here is my version:

Chocolate Beet Cake
3 eggs (organic, range fed)
¾ cup coconut oil (can substitute applesauce for half of this, if desired)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups baked or steamed beets (about 2 medium-large beets, peeled)
4 Tbsp. baking cocoa (nonalkalized)
2 cups whole-wheat flour (soft white wheat, ground fine)
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp sea salt

Puree beets in  blender with  eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and add chocolate and other ingredients. Bake in 9”x13” oiled pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
1 ½ cups Coconut sugar


Frosting
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa ½ cup coconut oil
½ cup powdered coconut sugar - to do this I blended up the sugar in the blender until it turned into a powder.


Cream together:


** Everyone liked it. My husband liked it best. E said "Mom, this is so good, it only tastes a little bit like dirt!"

1 comment:

  1. We'll have to try it. We make a pretty good chocolate avacado cake.

    ReplyDelete