Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Raw Apple Pie







So here is my attempt at recreating that awesome raw apple pie from Ecopolitan. Seriously, next time you are in Minneapolis, you have to go there!!!

Crust

2 cups walnuts
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Process everything in the food processer until it is crumbly. Don't over process. Then press crust mixture into a spring form pan or round cake pan. If you use a regular cake pan, line it with saran wrap. Then after it freezes you can pull out the whole pie by the saran wrap.

Apple Filling
• 5 medium apples ( I used gala)
• 1/2 cup dates
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp. sea salt
You can soak the dates if you want but if your dates are pretty juicy you don't need to.  Chop all 5 apples into cubes, then place one of these chopped apples in your high speed blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients (but not the other chopped apples) and blend until smooth.

Hand mix the remaining chopped apples and pour into pie crust.

Put pie in freezer for a couple of hours before serving.



** I tried to make a caramel sauce but I ran out of dates. ( You can kind of see my lame attempt on the top picture) At Ecopolitan they told me they made their caramel sauce with water, dates, and a bit of cinnamon. Next time!!

** This was so refreshing and good. The pie filling kind of fell over once we started eating it but it tasted great. Maybe next time I will add a little coconut oil to the blender mixture to help it to set up.

9 comments:

  1. I bet kids could put this together and I have plenty of slave labor to put to work! Came over from Pennywise Platter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Thanks for posting on Pennywise Platter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I'm definitely going to try this out and I think I'll try the caramel sauce, too. I am a sucker for sauces! I found you VIA Pennywise Platter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm visiting from Pennywise Platter, and I'm excited about this pie, it sounds so easy and delicious. I love apples, dates, walnuts, and food that falls apart as you eat it, so I'll be making this sometime very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a version of this for my birthday last month. I used raw almonds instead. Never thought of trying a caramel sauce, though. I will have to try that next time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. plateaus are really necessary in weightloss efforts. Not only do our bodies lose weight we can easily see and/or feel, but our organs and parts internal lose fat, too... so our system needs the time in palteau to adjust and reorganize, as it were.... it's super unhealthy to lose weight TOO fast and KEEP losing weight that fast. It can shock the system and take years off our life. YEAY for the "tortise," right!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori - Thanks for the encouraging words! I needed them!!

    Everyone else - thanks for visiting! I hope you will find recipes that you will like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tori's comment is correct. I've experienced this many times. Gain some to lose more.

    For everyone who posted, I ate this pie and watched as Heather snapped the pics. It is to die for! Btw, Heather's so-called 'lame attempt' is actually amazing! If it was appropriate to eat every night at her home, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We tried this last night and though the flavor was amazing, no one liked eating frozen pie. It was just TOO cold. I made it in the morning so it was in the freezer all day, not just two hours. Is that the difference? I took some out this morning to thaw a bit and see if it goes over better.

    ReplyDelete