Monday, April 11, 2011

The Blahs and a Yummy Lentil Soup

I kind of have the blahs. Do you ever get like that? I will be going along great, feeling really motivated and positive and then something will happen and I will just feel blah. Right now I don't feel super motivated to eat healthy or exercise. Last week I got sick for a few days and it really threw off my stride. I couldn't cook and we ordered take out (Thai food!)

We went on a mini vacation last weekend and without fail I always eat poorly when we do that. It doesn't help that we vacationed in a very small town with very few healthy eating options. Sometimes when I start to eat poorly I get all discouraged and I think "Well, what is the point in trying now? I should just keep eating crud! That will show them!" ( I am not really sure who "them" is in this scenario - Obviously not the most rational thinking!)

Some scenes from our trip...

The girls in the Nauvoo Visitor's Center
E with the rope she helped make

A waiting for her cookie at the old fashioned bakery

A tired Baby G

Baby G showing off her new trick. "I can stand!!"

 
I didn't even step on a scale last week. I am too afraid to. One of my commenters said that our bodies need to hit plateaus in our weight loss and that it is actually a healthier way of losing weight. I don't know if that is true but it really made me feel better!!

Anyhow, just writing this has made me feel better. Thanks for listening to me ramble. Or maybe you didn't listen. Maybe you were like, "blah, blah, blah! get to the recipe already!" Well, for you impatient ones here you go...


Is it still cold enough for soup? Not here but maybe where you are! Here is one of the staples in our home. I got this recipe from a Palestinian cookbook that we got as a wedding present.



Yummy Lentil Soup

1-2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
1 large onion, chopped
2-4 carrots, chopped
2- 4 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups lentils
3 cups water
4 cups veggie broth
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp cumin

Heat oil or butter over medium heat and then add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes or so. Then add in lentils, water and broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cook for an hour or until lentils are soft. (Don't add salt until after lentils are cooked or they will take longer to cook.)

Add juice of 1 lemon, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Then puree the soup in a blender.

** Okay so this soup is not the loveliest color. But it is very good. My girls love it.

2 comments:

  1. No, there are no real healthy places to eat in Nauvoo. Next time you go, let us know.

    Last Friday I went over to a friend's house and she told me about the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. You mix some seasoning salt and garlic powder with two types of grated cheese and mayo. That's right Mayonnaise mixed into the cheese!

    I figure if you didn't have a grilled cheese sandwich made with mayo, you are probably ok. And I figure I am ok health wise if I end up somewhere between my ultra healthy and not so healthy friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the blahs too. Staying motivated has always been difficult for me. I love listening to you. I find myself saying, "Hey, I feel that way too," and then I find myself ready to jump back on the awesome wagon again. Got to have the blahs in order to fully enjoy the hoorays! My Rosie is a great blah-remover. Our beautiful kiddos are amazing at giving us reasons to smile when we are frustrated...or um...causing frustration. Gasp, never! :) See, now I almost forgot about the recipe, lol. The soup sounds incredible. Bonus, I just bought organic coconut oil tonight! <3 u

    ReplyDelete