Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mejaddarah - Lentils and Rice

This dish was my first experience with Arabic food and it made me fall in love with lentils. This is a very easy but delicious dish. To be authentic you would serve this with some yogurt or salad. We eat it with salad.

Mejaddarah

2 cups lentils
1 large onion chopped
2 onions crescent sliced
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup olive oil or refined coconut oil
2 cups brown rice
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2- 3 cloves garlic minced

Boil lentils in water to cover for 90 minutes or until tender. Fry chopped onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add to cooked lentils and season to taste with salt and pepper, and cumin.

Add the rice and about 3 cups of water and mix in with lentils. Bring to a boil and then simmer with lid on until rice is soft and liquid is absorbed. Add a little more boiling water if needed.

Fry the sliced onion in 2 tbsp of oil until they are brown - low heat. Put sliced onions on top when serving.

* I use coconut oil because it doesn't become carcinogenic when you heat it.
** You do need quite a bit of salt, preferably sea salt.
*** My kids scarf this up.

4 comments:

  1. Just came across this recipe on Pennywise Platter. Looks GREAT. I make a similar dish, but never thought to try it with coconut oil (which I LOVE and use in everything!). Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, what is a crescent sliced onion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this dish and 3 of my children loved it. We then used up the leftovers in tacos. I fried up some corn tortillas and added shredded romaine and taco sauce. Even my 4th child loved it that way. This is a definite keeper.

    ReplyDelete