I adapted this recipe from the cookbook, The Happy Herbivore.
1 1/4 cup whole wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup to 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease muffin tin.
2. In medium bowl whisk together flour, soda, baking powder, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon together.
3. In you blender puree the dates with the applesauce and almond milk.
4. In another bowl mash the banana. Then stir in the blender mixture with the banana.
5.Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined.
6. Fill muffin cups to 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
* This recipe makes about 12 muffins. I doubled the recipe and I think that made pureeing the dates with the liquid easier.
** These got a thumbs up from most of the people here. I used the lesser amount of dates and I think they were just sweet enough but if you guys are just coming off sugar you might want to use the larger amount.