To me there are few things yummier than a creamy tomato sauce. When I found this recipe on ohsheglows.com I was so excited and I wasn't disappointed. This is a great blog if you haven't checked it out before. I have gotten a lot of good recipes from there.
Easy Tomato Basil Cream PastaLightly adapted from Vegan Yum Yum.
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 16 oz box uncooked whole grain spaghetti
- 2 large ripe tomato or 4 smaller tomatoes
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 - 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped ( or several shakes of dried basil)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Chop tomato and add it to the blender (including skin and seeds). Now add the cashews, water, and tomato paste. Blend until smooth.
2. Add your pasta to boiling water and cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to low. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes being careful not to burn it.
4. Pour the sauce from the blender into the skillet, stir, and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and let it cook for 4-5 minutes, watching closely. Then add water
5. Remove sauce from heat and stir in the chopped basil and pepper. Add the drained pasta back in the pot and now gradually add pasta sauce until your desired amount is achieved. Stir and serve immediately.
* I have doubled her original recipe. Find hers here.
** It may seem like a lot of salt but believe me - without it, it will not taste all that spectacular.
*** This is SOOOOOOO good!!!